Thursday, April 1, 2010

Welkin - Traces CD


It's been a while that I really was looking forward to a release by a Belgian band, but the teasers that Welkin had put online last year tickled my interest quite a bit. So I picked up "Traces" at the release show and it turns out money well spent. An excellent slap of mid tempo, somewhat progressive deathmetal. Think the slower parts of Gojira, combined with the ever-headbang-ability of Bolt Thrower.
The previous Welkin album "The Origin" wasn't really what I expected from it; the songwritting was more than decent, but the sound lacked balls and gave me an overall "mèh" feeling. But it seems the band somewhat thought the same as I did, because on "Traces" the sound is huge! Bombastic, dynamic, call it whatever you want, it blows you out of your socks.
Something that might be a bit bothering is the fact that are too few tempo changes. It lacks a bit of speed now and then. But other than that this album is top notch and I find it a bit weird no label was found to release it, as I think that there's most definitely an audience for it nowadays!

www.myspace.com/sonicdeathmetal
Stino

No comments:

Post a Comment